This one-day course is a comprehensive overview of Drupal 8/9 layout and theming, including best practices for controlling the look and feel of a website and hands-on training for developing a custom theme. Prior knowledge of Drupal site building or completion of the Drupal Site Building course is required.
- Describe and work with Drupal's theme layer.
- Declare, style, and use custom regions in a theme and theme settings .
- Build a sub-theme from a base theme.
This one-day course requires a working knowledge of Drupal site building, HTML, and CSS. Familiarity with Twig templating is a plus. It is best suited for site builders desiring to dig deeper into Drupal theming and backend developers who need an understanding of how theming integrates with backend development.
Layout & Theming
- Drupal Theming Fundamentals
- How does Drupal theming work?
- What are themes?
- Making a simple theme
- Working with regions
- Adding libraries and dependencies
- Advanced .info.yml options
- Adding breakpoints
- Customizing your theme
- Anatomy of a theme
- Coding standards in Drupal
- Introduction to Twig template files
- Overrides, available variables, and hooks
- Adding custom regions
- Base themes and subtheming
- Base themes, subthemes, and core themes
- Using subthemes
- File inheritance